I’m a big fan of one pot meals that can be made ahead for the coming week. Throw everything in a pan, simmer and forget about it. I’m an even bigger fan of hearty plant-protein rich one pot meals. Vibrant yellow lentils, savory Italian herbs, crisp white wine, and dairy-free creamy artisan herb-garlic cashew cheese make the most delicious weeknight meal that’s a breeze to whip up. It’s incredibly satiating and reheats perfectly which is great for a leftovers lunch during a busy week. This recipe is also a great dairy-free alternative that gives an indulgent creamy, cheesy texture and taste. Scroll down for the recipe.
I studied nutrition in graduate school so of course I’m inclined to geek out a little over the nutritious power of lentils. Just one cup of cooked lentils contains 18 grams of protein. That’s the protein equivalent of 3 large eggs, but without the 555mg of cholesterol found in 3 eggs, which equals 186% of your daily value of cholesterol. Lentils are cholesterol free, full of healthy fiber, and one serving contains 35% of the daily value of iron. What’s not to love? Let me know your favorite ways to incorporate lentils into your meals, I’m always looking for more recipes to try.
Creamy Savory Lentil Stew
Prep time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes
Servings: 4 large bowls
- 2 cups uncooked split yellow lentils (can sub split red lentils)
- 3 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup of your favorite white wine (plus some for drinking while you cook)
- 5 baby bella mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 half medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green onion chopped for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Treeline Herb-Garlic flavor creamy cashew vegan cheese (or use one of these amazing dairy-free cheese recipes).
- Optional: Sprinkle of nutritional yeast and dash of ground cayenne
- In a large deep dish skillet, add lentils, water, and white wine over medium-high heat. Bring to a light boil.
- Add mushrooms, yellow onions, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove cover and stir in the Treeline Herb-Garlic creamy cashew dairy-free cheese (or use one of these dairy-free cheese recipes) until well combined. Heat for an additional two to three minutes to thicken.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, add sliced green onion or chopped fresh parsley for garnish and serve hot.